Common Mistakes to Avoid When Filing an Auto Accident Injury Claim
Auto Accident Information
When filing an auto accident injury claim, it is important to be aware of common mistakes that can harm your case and result in a lower settlement or even a denial of your claim. Here are some common mistakes to avoid when filing an auto accident injury claim:
Common Mistakes to Avoid:
- Not Seeking Medical Attention: One of the biggest mistakes you can make is not seeking medical attention immediately after the accident. Even if you feel fine, it is important to see a doctor as soon as possible to document any injuries and to ensure that you receive the proper treatment. Not seeking medical attention can harm your case and make it difficult to prove that your injuries were caused by the accident.
- Not Gathering Evidence: Another common mistake is not gathering evidence at the scene of the accident. This can include taking pictures of the damage to your vehicle, the other vehicle(s) involved, and any visible injuries you or your passengers may have. It is also important to get the contact and insurance information from the other driver(s) involved, as well as the names and contact information of any witnesses.
- Not Keeping Track of Expenses: It is important to keep track of all expenses related to the accident, such as medical bills, lost wages, and the cost of repairs to your vehicle. This information will be needed when calculating the value of your claim, and not having it can make it difficult to prove your losses.
- Not Contacting an Attorney: Many people make the mistake of not contacting an attorney after an accident. An attorney can help you navigate the claims process, gather evidence, and negotiate a fair settlement. They can also advise you on your legal rights and options, and help you avoid common mistakes that can harm your case.
- Not Being Honest: Lying or withholding information from your insurance company or attorney can be a major mistake. If you are not honest about the details of the accident or your injuries, it can seriously harm your case and lead to a denial of your claim. It's always best to be upfront and transparent about what happened and what injuries you may have.
- Not Understanding the Statute of Limitation: Each state has its own statute of limitations for filing a personal injury claim, and if you miss the deadline, you may lose your right to file a claim. It's important to know the statute of limitation in your state and file your claim in a timely manner.
- Not Being Prepared for Negotiations: When negotiating a settlement, it is important to be prepared with all of the evidence and documentation needed to support your claim. This includes medical records, witness statements, and repair estimates. Without this information, it can be difficult to negotiate a fair settlement.
- Accepting the First Settlement Offer: It's important to remember that the first settlement offer is typically not the best offer. It's important to review the offer with your attorney and negotiate for a fair settlement that covers your damages, expenses and losses.
Looking for Answers About Your Accident?
Contact us for your FREE Case Evaluation and get the ANSWERS you're looking for.
In conclusion, filing an auto accident injury claim can be a complex and stressful process. However, by avoiding these common mistakes, you can increase your chances of a successful outcome and receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and losses. Remember to seek medical attention, gather evidence, keep track of expenses, contact an attorney, be honest with your insurance company, understand the statute of limitation, be prepared for negotiations and don't accept the first settlement offer.
Free Initial Strategy Session
All Initial Strategy Sessions are Free. If you would like to discuss your options, you are invited to fill out one of the Contact Forms. I will attempt to contact you if I think I can help you.
During your Initial Strategy Session, I will asist you in creating a strategy on how to best pursue your claim, whether it be the result of a Car Accident Claim, 18 Wheeler Injury, or, Alabama Workers' Compensation Claim. At your Initial Strategy Session, you will receive the following:
- First - I will listen to your story. You will have a chance to tell everything to someone who wants to hear what happened to you.
- Based on the information that you provide, I will give you my best advice on both what claims you have, and the next steps you should consider to proceed with your claim(s).
- If your claim is something that I think I can help you with, I will explain the services that I can provide for you, and what the next steps are that we should take. We will start working immediately.
- If your matter is something that I do not think I can help you with, then I will attempt to put you in contact with another lawyer that might be able to help you.
- Either way, what should happen is we will put to rest some of the unkowns that you may be experiencing. We will start to shed some light on what you can expect, and how to best pursue the benefits you deserve.
Don't delay getting the recovery you deserve!
Contact us today for your free Strategy Session!