Common Mistakes to Avoid When Filing an Auto Accident Injury Claim in Alabama
Auto Accident Information
Every year, several Alabama residents find themselves implicated in auto accidents, leading to a maze of legal tasks while nursing both physical and emotional injuries. Filing an auto accident claim is a crucial step to getting duly compensated for your losses. However, many individuals inadvertently make mistakes that may affect the success of their claim. Stephen Thompson, a renowned personal injury lawyer in Alabama, underscores the importance of avoiding these pitfalls to ensure you get the justice you deserve.
- Not Contacting the Authorities: As daunting as a car crash can be, it is crucial to call the police immediately following the accident. The responding officer's report serves as a credible, third-party account of the incident, and helps establish the facts and contributing factors of the accident. Neglecting this step could jeopardize the strength of your case, and consequently affect your potential compensation.
- Neglecting Medical Attention: Even if you think you have not sustained serious injuries, getting immediate medical attention is crucial. Some injuries may not become apparent until hours or even days after an accident. By waiting too long, it becomes harder to prove that the auto accident was the cause of your injuries. Moreover, delaying medical care can give the impression that your injuries are not as severe, which could potentially reduce the amount of your claim.
- Failing to Gather Evidence: Not collecting adequate evidence at the accident scene is a common mistake that could negatively impact your auto accident injury claim. Acquiring comprehensive documentation—such as photographs of the accident scene, witness details, vehicle damage, road conditions, and any visible injuries—can add weight to your case and provide a visual timeline of events.
- Handling Claims Alone: Although self-representation can save on attorney fees, it may cost you in the long run. Alabama's personal injury law can be intricate and difficult to navigate without adequate legal knowledge. Moreover, insurance companies employ experienced lawyers to contest your claims, and without a seasoned personal injury lawyer to uphold your rights, you might end up with less compensation than you deserve. Stephen Thompson, a seasoned Alabama personal injury lawyer, has the expertise and knowledge to navigate the complex legal processes, increasing the odds of a favorable outcome for your claim.
- Miscommunication with Insurance Companies: Insurance companies are notorious for using claimants' words against them, often twisting the narrative to reduce the payout. Always remember that insurance companies are in business to make money and paying claims reduces their profits. Avoid giving recorded or written statements without consulting your lawyer first, and never accept the first offer that they table as it's often lower than what you should rightfully receive.
- Failing to File a Claim in Time: Alabama law has a strict statute of limitations, limiting the time within which you can file an auto accident injury claim. The time limit starts from the day of the accident, and failing to file in time can mean losing your right to compensation entirely.
- Settling Too Soon: While it may be tempting to accept an early settlement to move past the incident quickly, settling before you know the full extent of your injuries and damages can be a costly mistake. In most cases, once you settle, you cannot reopen the case later if you realize that your compensation was not adequate to cover your treatment or damages.
If you or a loved one are dealing with the aftermath of an auto accident in Alabama, avoiding these common mistakes can dramatically increase your chances of receiving the highest possible compensation. Engaging a seasoned Alabama personal injury lawyer, such as Stephen Thompson, will help uphold your rights and navigate the complex legal processes involved in filing an auto accident injury claim. Reach out to us, and let us help you get the justice you deserve.
Looking for Answers About Your Accident?
Contact us for your FREE Case Evaluation and get the ANSWERS you're looking for.
Free Initial Strategy Session
All Initial Strategy Sessions are Free. If you would like to discuss your options, you are invited to fill out one of the Contact Forms. I will attempt to contact you if I think I can help you.
During your Initial Strategy Session, I will asist you in creating a strategy on how to best pursue your claim, whether it be the result of a Car Accident Claim, 18 Wheeler Injury, or, Alabama Workers' Compensation Claim. At your Initial Strategy Session, you will receive the following:
- First - I will listen to your story. You will have a chance to tell everything to someone who wants to hear what happened to you.
- Based on the information that you provide, I will give you my best advice on both what claims you have, and the next steps you should consider to proceed with your claim(s).
- If your claim is something that I think I can help you with, I will explain the services that I can provide for you, and what the next steps are that we should take. We will start working immediately.
- If your matter is something that I do not think I can help you with, then I will attempt to put you in contact with another lawyer that might be able to help you.
- Either way, what should happen is we will put to rest some of the unkowns that you may be experiencing. We will start to shed some light on what you can expect, and how to best pursue the benefits you deserve.
Don't delay getting the recovery you deserve!
Contact us today for your free Strategy Session!