What to do First
1) Seek immediate medical treatment if you are in an emergency situation.
Treat your emergency first, focus on your health and what the emergency doctors tell you, and worry about insurance companies and lawyers and your claim after you are stable.
2) Tell Your Supervisor within Five Days (5) of Your Injury
You need to let your immediate supervisor know about your injury as soon as possible. Ideally, you should do this immediately after your injury. If you cannot do it immediately, notify your supervisor within Five Days (5) of your injury. If you are in the hospital, then notify your supervisor of your injury within Five Days (5) of your release from the hospital. If you missed the Five Day deadline, all is not lost. You should make every effort available to notify your employer in writing of your injury within 30 Days. You might also want to consider consulting with an attorney, as all is still not lost, even if you've missed the 30 Day deadline. But that would depend on the particular facts of your situation. I cannot unfold for you more of what to expect without speaking with you.
3) Complete a First Report of Injury Form
Your supervisor should either:
- Complete a form documenting your injury known as a "First Report of Injury" for you, or,
- Direct you to someone who will complete the "First Report of Injury" form for you.
Regardless of who completes your First Report of Injury Form, you should try and make sure one is completed by someone at your company to document your injury. It then needs to be forwarded to your employer's Workers' Compensation Insurance Provider.
4) Ask Your Employer to Provide Medical Treatment
The Alabama Workers' Compensation Act requires that the employer provide medical care to an injured employee. But, the employer gets to select the medical care provider. That means, in most situations, your employer gets to pick your doctor. That doctor will be designated as your Authorized Treating Physician, and will be authorized to provide medical treatment to only your work-related injury. In order to make sure your medical treatment is covered under the Alabama Workers' Compensation Act, you need to go through your employer's medical treatment options. Your employer usually does not have to pay for medical treatment that they did not authorize
If You Don't Like Your Authorized Medical Treatment. You have options.
You are not stuck with the first doctor that is authorized to treat you. However, what options you should choose, and when you should choose them depend on the particular facts of your situation. If you would like to know more, you can look to the Information Center to the right. Or, you are invited to complete a Contact Form if you would like to discuss your matter with me in more detail.
Looking for Answers About Your Accident?
Contact us for your FREE Case Evaluation and get the ANSWERS you're looking for.
Free Initial Strategy Session
All Initial Strategy Sessions are Free. If you would like to discuss your options, you are invited to fill out one of the Contact Forms. I will attempt to contact you if I think I can help you.
During your Initial Strategy Session, I will asist you in creating a strategy on how to best pursue your claim, whether it be the result of a Car Wreck Accident, 18 Wheeler Accident, or, Alabama Workers' Compensation Claim. At your Initial Strategy Session, you will receive the following:
- First - I will listen to your story. You will have a chance to tell everything to someone who wants to hear what happened to you.
- Based on the information that you provide, I will give you my best advice on both what claims you have, and the next steps you should consider to proceed with your claim(s).
- If your claim is something that I think I can help you with, I will explain the services that I can provide for you, and what the next steps are that we should take. We will start working immediately.
- If your matter is something that I do not think I can help you with, then I will attempt to put you in contact with another lawyer that might be able to help you.
- Either way, what should happen is we will put to rest some of the unkowns that you may be experiencing. We will start to shed some light on what you can expect, and how to best pursue the benefits you deserve.
Don't delay getting the compensation you deserve!
Contact us today for your free Strategy Session!